It is no surprise that the ANC in the Gauteng Provincial Legislature today voted to keep Premier David Makhura in office. Today’s motion of no confidence brought by the DA comes after it became quite clear that Premier Makhura is not fit to govern.
The outcome of today’s vote does not change our view. Premier Makhura remains unfit to govern.
Under his watch:
- Up to R125 million wasted on corrupt tenders for Personal Protect Equipment.
- R431 million was spent on decontaminating schools between June and August last year.
- AngloGold Ashanti hospital on the far West Rand received R500 million worth of funding in order to equip it with extra beds and facilities to assist Covid-19 patients. These wards are still incomplete and remain under construction.
- Years after the horrible tragedy at Life Esidimeni, 81 claimants had still not been paid their compensation by November 2020.
- Over 18 months since the Bank of Lisbon Fire, the Premier has still failed to release the investigation report.
- There has been a continuous systemic collapse of municipalities like Emfuleni and Merafong.
- An illegal dissolution of the Tshwane Municipal Council last year.
It is clear that the ANC-led government in Gauteng remains committed to cadre deployment and will do anything in their power to ensure that Premier Makhura remains in office, despite his government failing to exercise proper fiscal control and governance.
The DA will not waiver in its duty as the Official Opposition in the province to hold Premier Makhura and his executive to account.