Speech by: John Moodey MPL
“Captain Makhura denies ship Gauteng is sinking”
- Loyalty to a once dignified and respected organisation, when it was under the able leadership of Honoured Leaders such as OR Tambo, Walter Sisulu, Nkosi Albert Luthuli, Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela, blinds the Gauteng ANC from the rot within; rot that is not only bringing ruin within its ranks, but is ruining the future of our youth and our nation as a whole.
- The so-called open-tender system is not so open at all, leaving many small businesses without opportunities. By and large black owned businesses remain marginalised and excluded, unless of course you are politically connected.
- The truth is that health care in this province is deteriorating. Case in point is the MEC of Health. A constantly deployed cadre that is not fit to head up this portfolio. Under her watch no less than 37 mentally ill people have died due to her negligence.
- Civil society organisations in the province scramble looking for funding, when the MEC you’ve appointed for Social Development cannot even provide us with a list of who and where the vulnerable are.
- In your State of the Province Address this year, you rightly acknowledged that the cost of e-tolls were too high and that this is the reason why people were not paying them. However, with residents being threatened with legal action – because they simply refuse to be subjected to an unjust and unaffordable tax, you are quiet on the matter.
- Take heed of our constructive criticism, for your truth and the legacy you wish to leave behind, honourable Premier, should not be the story of the ANC.
The full speech can be obtained here.
Speech by: Jack Bloom MPL
“Makhura’s inaction is shameful”
- As I said earlier this year in the State of the Province debate, Planet Makhura cannot escape the gravity of Planet Zuma. We know that the Honourable Premier is doing his level best to distance this province from the shenanigans of President Zuma.
- We all know that there have been 37 confirmed deaths of psychiatric patients in a very short period after they were sent to unsuitable NGOs after the Health Department’s cancellation of the contract with Life Healthcare Esidimeni. I have called for Health MEC Qedani Mahlangu to resign or be fired, and so have many others.
- The chairperson of the family committee Andrew Peterson has said “the department has got blood on its hand and someone should be held accountable”.
- It is very sad that few politicians in our country do the honourable thing and resign when wrongdoing is uncovered.
- I am sorry to say that you have missed what could have been a defining moment of your premiership where you could have showed that your provincial government really does care and really does listen.
The full speech can be obtained here
DA Gauteng Leader
082 960 3743
DA Gauteng Shadow MEC for Health
082 333 4222