OR Tambo Games
The DA will write to Sport, Recreation Arts and Culture MEC, Faith Mazibuko, to launch an investigation into alleged corruption at the OR Tambo Games held earlier this year.
According to a reply to a DA question on the Games, MEC Mazibuko, had stated that normal Supply Chain Management processes were followed in accordance with the respective council’s policies and the Municipal Finance Management Act (MFMA).
District and Local Municipalities
However, in the breakdown of costs for both Sedibeng District and Emfuleni Local municipalities it is plain to see the exorbitant costs that were incurred.
Sedibeng and Emfuleni spent the following amounts on line items which totalled over R580 000:
- R199 659.60 unaccounted for in Emfuleni’s budget for the Games;
- R27 360.00 on 3 Quantum 15 seater taxi’s;
- R17 779.00 on Nandos lunch packs;
- R12 072.60 on uniforms;
- Two line items citing “sport equipment” to the value of R33 955.00;
- In Sedibeng, R155 028.60 spent on “attire”; and
- R54 800.00 on “supply and delivery of transport for participants”.
(Click here to view the reply)
If standard processes were followed according to Supply Chain Management and MFMA regulations, one has to ask how the most expensive quotes have been selected to render services to the municipalities.
The DA will not stand by and watch blatant corruption take place in district and local municipalities governed by the ANC.
The MEC must urgently launch an investigation into the matter and ensure that those who abuse public funds are held to account.
DA Gauteng Constituency Head – Emfuleni
060 558 8299