Speech by: Refiloe Nt’sekhe MPL
“Honouring women is a celebration of the future of SA”
- Today, I honour women who on a pension grant will raise a community – these are the real heroes.
- In many occasions in this house, I have highlighted the challenge of the girl child – poverty.
- Being a professional blessee is even beginning to be an aspirational career for young women – rake in a rich blesser and the woman is set: the chance to wear designer clothes and be set up in a Sandton apartment.
- I am saddened, when in Marikana, a brother who had lost his job on the mines asked his sister to prostitute herself because this was the only way they knew how to raise money so that they could eat and return home to the Eastern Cape.
- Women have choices because the constitution dictates so, however in practice these rights are violated on a daily basis. Women endure violence and are violated
The full speech can be obtained here.
DA Gauteng Shadow MEC for Social Development
060 558 8297